Emelia has her first major illness, so to speak! She has an ear infection in the right ear :(
First, we have continued to battle thrush and yesterday we were going to go to the doctor for the third time because her thrush was back. At the start of the day, she seemed fine. Part way through the day I got a call from daycare that she was being more fussy than usual and wasn't eating much. They wanted to make sure I knew the thrush was back. I said I did and that we were going to the doctor after work.
When I picked her up at daycare I could tell she was more off than I though. She was burning up but I thought it could've been because she had been sleeping. And the sleeping... she is usually NEVER sleeping when I pick her up, especially with the other kids in the room. When I got her up, she was breathing/grunting funny and really didn't want to wake up or anything. Thankfully, we were already heading to the doctor.
When we were in the waiting room, Emelia kept breathing and grunting funny, crying like she's never cried before, and was warm as ever so it was obvious the sleeping wasn't the issue there. I felt SO bad for her and it was the hardest thing ever to keep myself from crying out of worry! The most annoying part was all the dirty looks I was getting from this couple sitting across from me. It was like they were annoyed that Emelia was crying and inconsolable. I'm SORRY people that she isn't feeling well! Damn, I was ticked! Isn't that pretty common anyway in a clinic? Sick kids?? URGH!
So when we got to finally go back to the room, I was a nervous wreck. Emelia's temp wasn't as bad as I thought, and her breathing was decided to be from being uncomfortable and not from breathing trouble. The doc looked into her ears and, after flushing the wax out of the right one, he saw that her right ear drum was red and irritated... BINGO! Ear infection!
Even though it was something wrong, relief flooded over me! I was so glad that it was something relatively low key and fixable. Of course, as a nurse, I know a lot more about things that can go wrong and of COURSE those were all going through my head!! They gave her some tylenol and a prescription for antibiotics. I pray she feels better!
For the thrush this time, they used this stuff called Genetian Violet. It's a liquid that is dark purple that they paint the inside of Emelia's mouth with. It literally looked like Emelia drank some paint! Even her spit was dark purple all night! But today it looks like the thrush is gone! Let's hope we've nipped it good!
Today at daycare Emelia did well. She was already more chipper and playful compared to yesterday. She did get a dose of antibiotic last night and she slept curled up next to me. This morning she didn't have a fever and she hasn't had one yet today! When we got home and she ate, she seemed more herself... playful and going all over the place as usual!
What a horrible feeling, though, to know deep down that my poor baby girl was sick and hurting somewhere and I didn't know where and I couldn't fix it! :(
BUT, at least they've figured it out and she seems on the mend! But it sure made for one LOOOOONG day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment