Thursday, February 3, 2011

Daycare Delight!

Today was Emelia's first day at her daycare.....

Finding a daycare was a difficult enough experience to turn my hair gray.  John wanted a daycare closer to the town we live by, Arcadia, but I wasn't able to find anything worthwhile or worthy of his liking... which was fine, I wanted him to feel comfortable with where our daughter was going.  Finally, I found a daycare in the town I work at.  It's a bummer because it's not in the Arcadia school district, but it is all I could find!

Emelia and I went to tour there and it is a really nice place!  The workers are all very nice, and they are good with the kids!  I even know one of the workers, Julie!  She used to make out the CNA schedules at the nursing home I work at when I first started there.  The price is more than reasonable and the flexibility is great!  Emelia enjoyed watching the other little kids.

So we planned on her going there and starting the first week of February so Emelia and I could both kind of get used to the whole daycare thing.  I was freaking out quite a bit, especially last night!  I was so worried Emelia would hate it, think I was abandoning her, deserting her; I was also worried about it because of the "Bottle Battle!"  BUT, I thought to myself, 'I HAVE to go back to work, there's no other option, so she will have to get used to it.'

So today we finally took the Daycare plunge!  We got there around 10am and immediately the workers were all thrilled to have a baby there!  She was immediately grabbed and all the other kids there were in love with her as much as the workers.  All smiles for everyone, including Emeila!  She was one big smile while I was still there!  That made me feel a lot better!  I went through all her things we brought (blanket, clothes, diapers, etc) and a few instructions about how she is personality-wise (likes to be held, by all the action). And then I discussed our bottle issues.  I had brought along a Playtex drop in (the bottle she drank for me, ONCE) as well as the new sippy cup.. I figured on giving them some options.  I also brought along two things of milk just in case.  I told them how horrible of luck we've been having, wished them lots of luck, and told them "call my cell if you need me."

When I got in the car, I did not cry... I felt it coming, my eyes were watering, and then I reassured myself that Emelia would be just fine.... she would have a lot to watch and look at, and she would someday soon be making friends even!  I then went and had a nice lunch with my mom! :)

Close to 2 1/2 hours later, I returned back to the daycare.  When I came in the door I noticed right away that my Emelia was NOT screaming... definitely a PLUS!  The other kids were having naptime, so I made sure to be quiet.  I came around the corner into the little room/kitchen area and there was my little girl, in the arms of one of the workers....

DRINKING A BOTTLE!!

I literally almost fainted!!  I mouthed "is she drinking that?" and they said yes.... I was like "Thank GOD!" (quietly of course).... And then I did start crying!  It was the best sight I've seen in a Long, Long, LONG time!

I never even said a word and Emelia never got her eyes on me, but she suddenly knew I was there (damn that nose of hers) so they took her in another room and she finished the whole bottle!  She drank the whole 4 ounces!  I couldn't believe it, just couldn't..... I was so happy!

Once she finished her bottle, I finally went and said hi to her... as soon as she saw me, BIG smiles!  Made my day!  :)

And that was our first day at daycare!  It went much better than I anticipated for sure!  We will be going some more next week, for longer amounts of time now that I know she does well and will eat! :)  Hooray! :)

Getting that big smile from her when I got there to pick her up... that, though, was even more rewarding than her drinking a bottle.  In that one smile she said "I love you" and "I'm not mad you left me here" all at once!

And one more of life's hurdles is now jumped over and left in my dust! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment